Wednesday, September 13, 2006

"Un Mocha, mon Chéri!"

I just had the best "faux-pas" ever.

I'm sitting in a cafe right now, Cafe Cosy, and there are two adorable guys working the counter. I went to order my drink and I couldn't decide, so they told me to take my time. As I was browsing the menu, I saw that there was a drink called "Mocha Cherry". Well, the "ch" sound really doesn't exist in the French language, so I thought that I would try and pass myself off as a local (what was I thinking?) and pronounce it as "Sherry". In effect, I said to the barista "Je voudrais un Mocha (pause) Sherry, s'il vous plait". They guys chuckled and said "non non, c'est Cherry, pas Sherry". I laughed because I thought I understood - sherry, like the alcohol. So I tried to be funny and say it again in a silly voice as if I wanted alcohol in my coffee. They laughed again and corrected me again, saying "non, c'est Cherry, comme une cerise (cherry)." I figured my joke was lost and went upstairs and set up my computer and started talking to my mom via Skype. He brought us our drinks, and then 5 minutes later came back with a free sample that he made just for my friend Lauren and I. I made another stupid joke about "sherry" and we laughed. I then figured out that I wasn't saying "sherry", like the alcohol, but "chéri", like "my love". I literally said to the man, "I would like a mocha, my love." Oh my goodness! No wonder he's bringing us free samples!! My mom and I started crying because we were laughing so hard. I can't believe I totally didn't get the joke! The other barista came upstairs and overheard me laughing to myself, so I had to explain to him that I was talking to my mom over the internet. He came over and started speaking into my microphone to her! What an ordeal! Pronounciation is risky. You have to really know what you're saying and how to say it! Here I am worried about the guys that keep approaching me and asking if I "have boyfriend" when in reality, they should apparantly be watching out for me! "Chéri!" Ha!

This language thing is a hoot. Well, I should actually do some work. Ugh. I hope you all found that as amusing as my mom and I did.

Lot's of love! Thanks for the emails, I love them dearly!

Ness

1 Comments:

Blogger Mambolicious said...

Just don't start any international incidents while you're there. I was thrilled to be talking to you via skype when all that went down! You're my girl alright.
Mum

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home