Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow Day from Hell

I've always loved the anticipation of a big snow storm. Maybe its a Midwest thing, but Snow never fails to get people talking. And everyone is always their own weatherman.

As a kid, you went to bed praying, "Dear God, if you're really out there, prove it to me and please, please, PLEASE let's have a snow day." Even in high school, it was, "Alright God, look, I really can't take that Calc test tomorrow. We HAVE to have a snow day. That's just the way its going to be." And then you couldn't sleep at night, because you would lie awake thinking about all the things you were going to do if school actually did get canceled.

Even though snow days don't often exist in the working world, I still went to bed last night with that same anticipation ; I couldn't wait to get up this morning and throw open the blinds to see the snow that had fallen while I had been dreaming. At day's end, I wish that today itself had been a dream. Instead of waking up and venturing out into a wintry apocalypse, busting my ass to get to work in one piece, I wish that I had woken up in a winter wonderland of sledding and snow forts, hot cocoa, candy canes and santa's elves themselves.

My day started at 7 am when the snow/ice blowing into my window woke me up. I got up, threw open the blinds and muttered something like, "holy *$*#ing snow". Wintry apocalypse it was. Not used to being up so early, I scrubbed the kitchen sink, stove, toilet, and shower, because, I mean, what else does one do so early in the morning. After getting ready for work, I stood in front of my window for a long time, watching car after car get stuck trying to leave the parking lot. They had shovels.

It was finally my turn to go. I made a game plan in my head. "Ok, if I just throw it in reverse and gun it, I should be able to blast over that hump and at least get out of my spot. I'll worry about the rest after I get that far." I bundled up and headed downstairs. God, was it shitty out there! I managed to blast out of my spot, as planned. I never really made it much farther than that. My car got stuck almost immediately. Since I had no shovel, I got out of my car to kick some snow around. I then proceded to do that about 8 more times, as I made a royal mess out of the parking lot. I couldn't get my car to do anything. I finally (by some act of God) made it back to a parking space and decided to call it quits. I was going to have to walk.

I went back upstairs and pulled out my winter armor. Longjohns over tights and under another pair of pants, wool socks on top of that, a thick sweater, boots (with the fur), hair tucked into my hat, scarf wrapped around my face, and a big, puffy feather coat. I looked ridiculous. I trudged all the way to work, and about 3/4 of the way there, I realized I forgot my badge that swipes me in to everywhere I need to go in the hospital. Rarrr! Screw that! I wasn't going back. I would get a visitor's pass and use my key to get around. As I approached the hospital, I took my hat off, thinking it might help my goofy appearance somewhat. I walked up to the security desk to get my pass. The woman looked at me like I was nucking futs. I told her my story and she said "Ok, but when you get upstairs, you might wanna check yourself..." Huh? "You got mascara running all over your face." Great. I get upstairs, only to realize I came up the back way to the door without a keylock, so I couldn't use my key to get in. I had to bang on the door until my coworker let me in. He started in on me and my ridiculous appearance almost immediately. I ran to the bathroom to "check myself" only to find that I had mascara all over my upper and lower eyelids, running along my cheek bones and down to my MOUTH. HOT. On top of that, I was soaked through with sweat from my treck.

Once I finally got settled, the day proceeded fairly normally. I worked all day on a boring project that I couldn't put off any longer. I told my boss I was going to leave as soon as the sun started to set because I didn't want to walk home in the dark. He understood. About 15 mins before I was planning on leaving, my work computer just randomly decided to restart itself. I hadn't saved anything that I had been working on all day because I thought the autosave function was working. WRONG. As the icing on my shitty little cake of a day, I lost everything that I had worked on all day, making my day at work an absolute 100% a waste of my time. YAY!!! It pains me to think about it. To top it off, nobody even offered me a ride home!

TODAY=WORTHLESS!

Long gone are the snow days of yore. I'm going to go buy a snow shovel tomorrow. That's that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home